- IoT is already here, it isn’t something that is coming. It is here and it is the future, it will just become more prominent.
- Expect billions of IoT objects by 2020.
- Machines talking to each other with all kinds of sensors sharing information instantly.
- Smart cars, Smart homes, etc. It is all getting smart, not just our phones.
What kinds of things are in the IoT?
- Appliances and home gear like TV, Fridge, Light bulbs, thermostats
- Imagine sensors in cement that will monitor for cracks or stress fractures developing in buildings and bridges.
- Same sensors send information like ice on a bridge to your car as it approaches.
- Smart parking monitors where open parking can be found
- Water quality and water level sensors in rivers, lakes, etc
- Plant watering monitors that report the exact conditions of the soil
- Trash bins that detect when they need to be emptied and call for pick-up in city parks
- Roads that sense climate and traffic conditions
- Shelves that can order their own inventory or even in your pantry or fridge
- Sensors that detect soil moment or snow pack to prevent disasters or warn of them
- Smart street lights that adapt to the weather and light conditions
Imagine anything that you ever need to know anything about and add a sensor to it to report that back to you. That is the IoT.
Healthcare is ripe for these tools
- Fitness monitors
- Monitor patients at home
- Caps that detect if you have taken your meds correctly and alerts someone if you haven’t
- Ralph Lauren has biometrics polo shirt already
- Complete baby monitors for SIDS symptoms and more
- Ingestible pill sensors powered by your stomach fluid and communicates when you took your meds and what you took
- Alarm buttons that works with sensors placed around the house to watch after aging family members.
- ECG, heart rate, etc sent automatically to your doctors office daily for review
IoT and HIPAA?
Why does all this matter under HIPAA? This stuff all talks to the Internet to get to you and your devices. Security is a key element of making this an advantage in your live instead of a problem for you. If you are already behind the curve you are not going to catch up a little at a time, you will just get further behind.