The latest HIPAA buzz about things like Interoperability, Data Governance, Patient Access Rights, and, of course, OCR random audits. Donna attended HIMSS and the National HIPAA Summit recently. In this episode, we discuss what Donna noted as the latest HIPAA buzz from the events.
Latest HIPAA Buzz
- Interoperability – All the different systems in the healthcare IT environment don’t easily exchange information today but there are many discussions and plans just for that to happen.
- Data Governance
National HIPAA Summit
- Data Governance – The process of looking at all your organization’s valuable data assets as a whole that needs to be managed, controlled, and protected. Think HIPAA Security Rule maximized for all the data across all of your organization.
- Lincare has paid their fine and is not appealing
- Business Associates are really something you need to be watching after these days. It can be very expensive if you are completely unaware of what they really think of HIPAA compliance.
- Risk Analysis
- They should be real HIPAA RA not just a simple checklist
- Better include something about Ransomware after the recent attacks on hospitals.
- 3 more hospitals hit this week
- New Privacy Guidance for rights to access and more
- Individuals’ Right under HIPAA to Access their Health Information 45 CFR § 164.524
- How HIPAA Applies to Certain Workplace Wellness Programs
- New HIPAA guidance reiterates patients’ right to access health information and clarifies appropriate fees for copies
- Understanding Some of HIPAA’s Permitted Uses and Disclosures
standing Individual’s Right under HIPAA to Access their Health Information
- Obama Administration Modifies HIPAA to Strengthen the Firearm Background Check System
- New Q&A portal for application developers
- HIPAA Security Rule Crosswalk to NIST Cybersecurity Framework
- New Cybersecurity broadcast monthly newsletter
- Audit program begins now